Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat was groomed first time last week (he's a maine coon…

Customer Question
Our cat was groomed for...
Our cat was groomed for the first time last week (he's a maine coon and got a lion cut) and since has been acting very lethargic. We attributed this to the whole grooming experience as well as being a bit colder than he's used to; however, he has now started puking up yellowish looking foam and shows little interest in food (he usually is VERY excited about eating). We're feeling a bit lost as to whether he simply got ahold of something that upset his stomach (we recently had a lot of flower arrangements at our house for a party) or if something more serious is going on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/6/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 8 year old Maine Coon mix boy Baron. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. These symptoms Baron has had over the last few days are definitely a concern, and now combined with the vomiting and inappetance, you will definitely need to keep a close eye on your boy. There are quite a number of possible causes for these symptoms and given he is male, hopefully he is urinating ok as far as you are aware, as a blocked bladder is definitely a possibility here. Another key concern I have, is the potential for a toxicity from one of the flowers in your flower arrangements. Lillies are very common in flower arrangements, and also particularly toxic to cats leading potentially to acute kidney failure. Other possibilities here include anything from acute gastroenteritis, to an intestinal blockage or even an internal organ or endocrine issue.

Hopefully he is drinking water without issue and is able to keep it down. If he isn't drinking much, or is vomiting water, then this is enough of a reason to get him seen by your local ER vet now if you can. Here they can carry out a full physical exam and start your boy on IV fluids to keep him hydrated. You should also with hold food for a couple of hours, then try him with a little freshly cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast. Also keep a close eye on his urination. Hopefully you have a litter tray that he uses and hopefully you will see him use this (without issue) in the next hour or two. If he seems to have any problem at all, again - get him seen as soon as you can by your local ER vet as he may have a blocked bladder.

For now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Baron, and hopefully he starts to improve. If you have had lillies around the house - then I would encourage you to just play it safe and get him straight down to your local ER vet now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian