Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 16 year old cat just saw the vet yesterday and s

Customer Question
My 16 year old cat...
My 16 year old cat just saw the vet yesterday and his bloodworm showed a thyroid problem. He also has feline herpes and is having a flare up. He started antibiotics and got subcutaneous fluids and seemed to perk up but today is weak and holding his head at an odd angle. Is this a symptom of a herpes flare up?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/5/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Steve's troubles. Could you please tell me, was his thyroid low or high on his bloodwork yesterday?

His vet didn't mention it but prescribedfelimazole 5mg a day.
Also, Dr. Bonk , he just walked from the living room into the bedroom and is struggling to use his back legs. I am worried he has had a stroke. Can you advise? I am reluctant to take him to the Animal Medical Hospital because he has such high anxiety when he goes and I am afraid to put him under more stress.

His symptoms sound like a reaction to the felimazole. Adverse affects can be lethargy, anorexia, and vomiting. You can also see muscle weakness and a head tilt if his thyroid is too low. My advise would be to stop the medication and call your vet when you can. They may want to adjust the dosage or switch to a different treatment.

Also, he is under a lot of stress right now with the herpes flare up as well, so anything you can do to reduce stress will help him feel better, for example, let him stay in a dark quiet room with food and water.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

Hi, I just wanted to check on how Steve is today.

Hi, I was just seeing if you found anything out on Steve. Also, I was wondering if you could please rate me so I can improve my customer service. Thank you.

Thank you for following up, Steve died later that evening.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I wish I could have been more help.

Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian