Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Patty, my cat just delivered a breach kitten, born dead, do…

Customer Question
Patty, my cat just...

Patty, my cat just delivered a breach kitten, born dead, do I take it away now, she has been having a hard time, 12 hours between this one and the one prior, there is still one left left inside

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She went into labor about 2am, had one about 4 and now this one breach at 2:30pm, ultrasound showed 4, what should I do next, I can not afford a C-Section

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

One about 2:20am, #2 about 4am, this one stillborn 2:30pm

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
We took her to the vet this morning and they did an ultrasound and saw there were 2, they gave her oxytocin, and she started to deliver one it was breach, now delivered still born, what about the other one
I don't have $800 for a c-section
3/5/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am so sorry to hear that your cat is having such trouble.

In regards ***** ***** question, how to approach this does depend on how she is reacting to the kitten. If she is ignoring it, then you can remove it now. Though if she is focused on the kitten then we cannot take it away initially. If we do, they tend to search, pine, and will sometimes neglect their other kittens as they look for their "lost" kitten. Instead, we tend to need to leave it with them for a few hours (or up to a few days for some) to allow them time to realize it has passed and give up on it.

Otherwise, if she has more kittens to come, we need to monitor her closely. Generally speaking, we should see the next kitten within 20-30 minutes following the last one. So, hopefully now that the breech has been passed we will see the next ones passed without issue. That said, we need to tread with great care here; especially if she has been straining for that long with this deceased one. This is because she will be at risk of fatigue and may actually need intervention to get this last kitten out safely. So, we need to give her some times with this but if she keeps straining >30 minutes to pass the next one then we'd need to have her seen. Her vet may be able to give injectable oxytocin to help her get the last one out or manually remove any that are stuck. Otherwise, if we did have a C-section situation, then the local vets would need to work with you to help her (ie payment plan, Carecredit, do as a spay to just get the kitten out and spare your kitty, etc) since without aid it can be fatal just as for people.

Finally, since costs are a concern, I would suggest checking the ASPCA database @ (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills) or the Humane society @ (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) databases for other subsidized aid.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)