Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cats been throwing up bile and water past two days. Every…

Customer Question
My cats been throwing up...
My cats been throwing up bile and water for the past two days. Every time she drinks water she dry heaves and then goes and throws it up. She'll vomit this watery substance for an hour and then she'll be fine. A bit tired and want to sleep...the first day she showed usual interest in food, mostly wet food. The second day there was no interest in food she just took a bite of her wet food and called it a day. I'm seeing a vet tomorrow but I'm kind of nervous. She's also been "missing" the litter box and has dark brown diarrhea. I've had her for a month and she gets into these strange sitting positions that look like feline distemper which is why I'm worried. What could the cause of the diarrhea and vommiting water be? And could it be connected to something like feline distemper? What are my treatment options for helping my cat out at this point? all she wants to do is sleep on me. Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/5/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

In a young cat like this with vomiting and diarrhea, it's likely something infectious. This could be feline distemper, panleukopenia virus (feline parvo), a parasite (Coccidia, Giardia) or some other bacterial infection.

If it were an obstruction, I would not expect to see any diarrhea. The fact that it's the upper and lower GI, that makes it likely to be infectious.

The treatment is typically with fluids, antibiotics (Metronidazole) and GI meds to control the vomiting and diarrhea. Depending on her hydration, this may be done in the hospital on IV fluids or as an out-patient with sub Q fluids under the skin. Most cats will get back to normal within 2-3 days of starting treatment.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

What kind of infections do indoor cats typically get? Is it possible for an indoor cat to all of a sudden get a parasite? How would my indoor cat have gotten sick a month into adopting her?
It would be very serious if it were the first two things you mentioned- would the vet be able to run blood tests or other tests for those? How are those two things diagnosed?

Many infections are possible with indoor cats. Viruses (parvo, panleukopenia, corona) and bacterial infections are often times airborne. Most cats that we see are indoor cats, and we still see infectious and parasitic infections. Parasites are often passed from mom or when kittens. It may take a while for them to show clinical signs. A fecal exam will quickly rule those out.

The majority of GI infections are not diagnosed with bloodwork. We just treat them symptomatically and they usually resolve.