Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Pete, My cat is a 17 year old male never sick all s life a…

Customer Question
Hi dr pete, My cat is...
Hi dr pete,
My cat is a 17 year old male never sick all his life a few months ago he started begging for food, drink more often. Otherwise fine, lost a lb from 3 yrs ago, and sneezing alot.
Brought him for his annual checkup and the Vet did a Gediatric Blood Panel and found all his blood work good except for his T4 was high. Vet also did a sample of his bladder and found the urine to be all blood. She didnt know why. So we put him on Felimazole (Methimazole) 2.5mg for the past month to bring the T4 down. He seemed to still be very hungry and thirsty all the time, and the only thing we noticed different was he seemed slightly more lethargic.
A re-check last week (month later) found the T4 still high and blood still in urine (bladder aspirate again). So the vet upped his dose to Tapozole (Methimazole) 5mg - why is the first name different? - and we gave him his first 5mg dose yesterday. Hours later he went into a seizure type fit (out of nowhere) and ran to hide under the bed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
with mouth wide open and tongue out. He then calmed down after 5 mins and everything seemed fine. Now later that night he had another episode he fell sideways and flipped on his back mouth open even worse again and his eyes look watery and his breathing heavier. He then jetted for under the bed again to hide. Then again he seemed to get slightly better 1/2 hr later. We were convinced he was dying.
Today all day and night we cut him off from the meds (is this dangerous?) and he is just like his old self again no more incidents yet. We plan on stopping the meds all together until things can be dorted out.We dont know if the cause is the medicine or another underlying disease. We were afraid to get him in the carrier to the vet because we think he will die on the way. What do you think was the cause and what follow up do you suggest?
Had to add this too: he keeps going into sneezing and hairball-like coughing fits for past few months. Hes always had eye discharge for years but lately he always has blackish crusted dried nasal boogers (hence the reason likely for sneezing).
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, they are the same drug (Methimazole) just a different brand. Therefore, they should work the same and not cause any issues. That said, if he has started showing neurological signs since you started this, then you were right to stop the medication but will want to ring his vet once they are open and report this. It sounds like he may have a sensitivity to a component of that brand. It should be reported to the company and we may need to restart his dose using the Felimazole (possibly returning to the previous dose rate until we are sure he has settle). As long as he is stable, you can monitor but if he shows any more signs then we may need his vet out to him (or referral to a mobile vet that could come to the house) if he is too unstable to travel.

Otherwise, we need to monitor that sneezing. As he is under a lot of stress with the thyroid disease and everything that has been happening, this could just be a cat flu flare up. That said, if you notice the discharge mostly from one nostril, then we'd have to be wary of nasal based disease (infection, fungus, polyp, mass). So, we need to keep an eye on that, consider steam treating (using a humidifier or taking him in a steamy bathroom while you are running a hot shower), non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Oceam Mist,Little Noses) and possibly xray his nose if this doesn't settle as the thyroid side of Catman's signs are settled.

Overall, it sounds like a reaction to something in this alternative brand. So, you were right to stop and will want to ring his vet once they are open to determine the next step based off their clinical examinations of him. And again if that sneezing persists then we'd need to make sure there is nothing else present in the nostrils causing him bother.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Thank you for your reply but i asked dr pete because he was the vet that s
addressed a very similar issue and because the payment was for a question posed to him. I feel that i spent $31 only to be fooled. Not happy about that.

My apologies, my dear.

I only wanted to aid you since he wasn't online and I couldn't predict when he next would be. I will opt out now and hopefully he will be able to aid you further.

Take care,

Dr. B.

that is the problem. The system said he was online and available when i made the purchase
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian