Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is breathing hard panting with s tongue out and

Customer Question
My cat is breathing hard...
My cat is breathing hard panting with his tongue out and drooling do you think it's a hairball
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/5/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your kitty is breathing hard (panting) with his tongue out and drooling.

This does not sound like a hairball. With a hairball they may cough, gag and vomit, but then the nausea passes.

This could signify severe nausea or anxiety/stress or if the color of his tongue and gums is blue/gray or very pale that can signify difficulty breathing/exchanging oxygen.

Either way cats don't efficiently exchange oxygen by panting, so they don't do it unless things are very bad for them or they are extremely stressed.

If this was preceded by a very stressful event for him, he has only been doing this for a short time and his color is fine, then give him time to settle down and see what happens.

But if this has been going on for a while, he has vomited several times, and/or his color is poor (blue, gray or white), he has facial swelling or hives, then it is time to seek emergency care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****