Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat was diagnosed as hyperthyroid yesterday and I started

Customer Question

My cat was diagnosed as hyperthyroid yesterday and I started the thyroid medicine. He has very little appetite. The vet also gave me mitazapine as an appetite stimulant 1/4 every 72 hours. How safe is the drug to use and should i give lesser dose?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It isn't uncommon to develop some inappetance with the thyroid medication, but that is usually transitory and shouldn't last longer than a couple of days. You should let your vet know if it does. The mirtazapine dose the vet prescribed is safe to use in cats and usually works quite well. I would stick with that dose. If anything, wait longer than 72 hours to give another dose if he is eating well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.