Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Limping and pain in front paw, Not sure, just happened when…

Customer Question
Limping and pain in...

Limping and pain in front paw

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

Not sure, just happened when I called him in for feeding, no bite.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Bandit, 2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?

No, he's very active, now is asleep and acts sluggish, is eating & drinking, but cries if we try to touch his paw.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/4/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Cindy

Sorry to hear Bandit is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you. Actually one of the commonest things that a small animal veterinary surgeons sees in his consulting room is lame cats. Luckily most of these lamenesses are trivial and are easily put right. There are two main causes you would initially consider, infections and trauma.

1. Lameness due to infection: If you have more than one cat or your cat wanders outside then cat bite abscesses are the main culprit, some lesions are obvious with puncture marks, redness and swelling of the foot or leg with perhaps pus discharging. Other abscesses are more difficult to spot as they are deep in the tissues and you may see nothing on the surface. Cats are not the most sociable of creatures and they are prone to fighting, their canine teeth are long and sharp and covered with pyogenic [pus forming] bacteria. In fact when one cat bites another cat and really sinks its teeth in you can expect an abscess to form as a matter of course. Lameness can be caused by other infections such as penetrating wounds on the pads of the feet but these are more rare and likely to happen to an outside cat but would be obvious on examination. These conditions can be treated with antibiotics but some need lancing.

2. Lameness due to trauma: Cats are agile creatures and sure footed but sometimes of course they may fall or be traumatised in some way, if this happens it can of course could lead to a soft tissue injury such as a strain or sprain or a pulled muscle in the leg. Treatment here would be rest plus perhaps prescribed veterinary anti-inflammatory drugs .

3. My advice here is that you should have Bandit checked over by your vet as more often than not prescription drugs such as antibiotics are required and there is little scope for home treatment in this sort of situation other than rest. Also more serious injuries such as fractures are possible.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.