Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

A friend just called me. She recently adopted a 10 month old…

Customer Question
A friend just called...

A friend just called me. She recently adopted a 10 month old kitten from a shelter. She was spayed in the last two weeks. The cat is really stinky. She said her urine has a strong ammonia smell and the cat has a smell even when she is sitting on her lap. She is drinking alot, peeing alot and doesn't seem to be pooping much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Me?

No. She's only had her two weeks. So, there is no medical history other than she had ringworm in the shelter and was treated with antibiotics.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/4/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your friend's kitty. It sounds like she needs to have a urinalysis. Strong smelling urine can be caused by a urinary infection. It would be best to get her into a vet that could also check for bladder stones or crystals. Urinary infections are generally easily treated with a course of antibiotics and possibly a food change. Your friend should look into the shelter's new adoption policy. A lot of places will do check-ups on newly adopted animals. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

I already called and left her a message with the info above. She is not peeing outside the litterbox. Would a UTI also explain the cat having a stinky odor even when just sitting on her lap? She said that she has had a cat before and has never smelled anything like this. Whats the chance that a kitten has diabetes?

She would smell if had some of the urine on her. There is a chance of diabetes in a kitten. A urinalysis would help test for that as well. The vet may also run blood work to check her kidneys and liver.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk

Hi, I was wondering if your friend was able to find out anything about her kitten.

Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian