Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat has a sappy eye.. Homer his 13, it's been a blk sappy eye and I clean his fur around his eye daily, but the last

Customer Question
He has a sappy...

He has a sappy eye..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Homer his 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Homer?

It's been a blk sappy eye and I clean his fur around his eye daily, but the last couple days his been blood red. it's not bleeding it's just like a discharge.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/2/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The most common cause of this discharge in a cat, is a corneal ulcer or scratch to the cornea. These are commonly due to trauma or a viral infection (Herpes) in the eye. Either way, we typically treat them with an antibiotic drop and pain meds.

A Fluorescein stain test will be done to make sure there is an ulcer. If the test is normal, then they may just start him on some anti-inflammatory drops in case of an allergic type conjunctivitis.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.