Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Ya, and I have a query about one of my male cats. He is 3

Customer Question
Customer: Hiya, JA: Thanks. Can you...
Customer: Hiya,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** I have a query about one of my male cats. He is 3 years old and has started rubbing his bum on my carpet after using the litter tray. He is going to the toilet fine (I have been watching him). He is an indoor cat, still eating, still playing. Do you think it could be worms.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, no problem
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/2/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Have you checked the anal region for any swelling or anything that you may think it is abnormal?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, it's only been going on a few days. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, and I have checked his back area, and it seems to be ok. I have also felt his stomach and it seems to be fine. It's not hard. Just worried that because he has just started it, there might be something wrong. I live in the middle east and vets are really expensive, so don't want to take him, if it's something simple.

Angela, if he is strictly indoors it is not likely to be worms. There are many possible causes that would cause a cat to scoot, a very common cause is having the anal glands full. He may need his anal glands expressed. This is done within minutes by a vet and should not be expensive, so basically all you pay for is the examination and a small fee for having the anal gland expressed. If it is the anal glands and they do not get expressed they can become impacted and rupture through the side of the butt making matters much worst and more expensive to treat. So, it is best to have family vet check his anal glands.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian