Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

My cat is 10 years old and he has a hard time with bowl

Customer Question

My cat is 10 years old and he has a hard time with bowl movement when he does go it is really hard and he was bleeding alittle, He also got sick alittle today and it was all liguid.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. What food are you currently feeding him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blue Buffalo And I Just went back too Purina Naturals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also i was feeding him a all natural food from pet smart duck and rabbit
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you,

It sounds like he is having an issue with constipation.

So, there are a few things you can do to help that.

You want to increase his fluid intake. Add broth to his food. If he will eat canned food, start adding a little of that into his diet because canned food is higher in moisture content.

Increasing his fiber can help too. To add fiber to his diet you can try 1/2 a teaspoon of human Benefiber on his food each day. Or, try a few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin a day. It has to be be the real canned pumpkin and NOT the pie filling.

You can also add a spoonful of mineral oil to his food daily.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

If that does not work to soften his stools try 1/2 a teaspoon of human Miralax stool softener powder on his food daily.

If he is still bleeding now, or he is bleeding again tomorrow, then he should see a vet.

Otherwise most likely the hard stool scratched the lining of his rectum or colon as it passed through.

If he still seems nauseous then you can give him 1/4 of a human over the counter 10 mg Pepcid ac tablet.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

If you try all that and he is still having hard dry stools then he needs to see a vet.

1. The vet can prescribe Lactulose which is an effective stool softener

2. Metabolic disease such as Diabetes or Kidney disease can cause chronic dehydration which leads to chronic hard dry stools

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions? If you are all set can you please rate my answer? Many Thanks