Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 17 year old cat, Ella, is anemic, and she has stopped…

Customer Question
My 17 year old cat...
My 17 year old cat, Ella, is anemic, and she has stopped eating canned Hills prescription i/d. I started mixing pumpkin in it, (she had horrible diarrhea), along with cosequin. She eats around the meat. I also keep dry Purina for sensitive digestive systems, and Hill's Hypo-Treats. Recently, she has begun to show a little interest, but then walks away from her food. Litter box is normal, (good poop!), and she was recently seen by the vet. Please advise how to encourage her to eat meat! Thanks in advance. Kimberly
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/29/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Ella. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I see she is eating around the meat. Do you mean canned food, or actual meat? What kind of meat are you trying to get her to eat?

If she is eating around the meat, what is she actually eating? Dry food?

I see she is anemic, and that can give a cat a picky appetite. Do you know why she is anemic? There are may reasons for a cat to be anemic, and finding out why she is anemic may tell us why she won't eat.

You can try appetite stimulants, such as mirtazapine or cyproheptadine. These are prescriptions you would have to get from her veterinarian.

If she is anemic, supplements of B12 and iron may help.

Since you are trying to get her to eat meat, you could try a different type of meat, or fish.

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca

I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.