Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is has been in labor 24 he's and has no visible signs

Customer Question
My cat is has been...
My cat is has been in labor for over 24 he's and has no visible signs of contractions, she has light bleeding for the last 4hrs and it is getting heavier, is this normal ? Her ears are very cold and she Is lathargic but traveling small distances, has not eaten or drank in over 18 hrs but has uses the litter box once
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?
2/29/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Cinder is experiencing trouble with her pregnancy and delivery.

Unfortunately none of the things that you are describing are normal.

24 hours is much too long to be in labor without any sign of a kitten. Usually once active labor starts we see kittens within an hour, and definitely they should be coming by now.

Heavy bleeding is also not normal, nor are her cold ears (which can signify internal bleeding and shock), and lethargy.

She needs veterinary help. It is possible that a kitten is too large, is malpositioned or she may need calcium or hormones to stimulate her uterus. But whatever is going on with her now she is beyond home care, and I am very, very concerned about her.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for Cinder. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian