Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I got home from work, and my cat was no where to be found.

Customer Question
She always greets me at...
I got home from work, and my cat was no where to be found. She always greets me at the door. she was hiding under a foot stool in the living room, and drooling from the mouth. I found about 4 clear wet drool spots on the rugs. she's never been sick. she's about 5 or 6 years old. she pooped twice today also.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/28/2016
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Sparta today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Was she acting normal when you last saw her?

Did she eat today?

Is she an indoor only cat or is she allowed outdoors as well?

Is she holding her head sideways or tilting it at all?

Can you look at her eyes and see if they twitch at all when you hold her head still?

If you pull her out and watch her walk, is she able to walk normally?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

she's an indoor only cat. she seemed to walk normally. but she is not acting normally. she is cowering, and hiding from me. drool is hanging from her mouth right now. her eyes look dilated.
I think she has ear mites. I have given her drops, and tried to clean the ear,with a tissue.

Can you tell me what you are using to treat the ear mites?

Why do you think she has ear mites?

she's been scratching at her left ear. licking her paw, and trying to clean it herself. over and over again. It's an ear mite treatment kit, I got from Petco.

It would be uncommon for an indoor only adult cat to develop ear mites. SHe may very likely have an ear infection, but it may not be due to ear mites. If the ear infection involves the middle/inner ear it can affect what is called the vestibular nerve. The vestibular nerve controls her sense of balance and if that is affected, she may feel vertigo or feel like the room is spinning. If that is the case, it may make her feel nauseous (some cats drool if nauseous) and that may be why she is hiding. Of course, there could be many other reasons for her to be drooling and sequestering herself. Cats are very good at hiding their illness, and I think you have very good reason to be concerned.

Your best course of action would be to have her examined as soon as you can, even if that means finding a vet that can see her over the weekend. Without knowing what in in the meds, it is hard to say if they could possibly be involved, but even if not, something is definitely wrong and should be followed up on. Cats are so good at hiding their illness, that often by they time they let us know something is wrong, they are sicker than they appear.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

she seems to be resting comfortably right now. and my vet opens at 8:30 tomorrow morning. I will be bringing her in. thanks for your input.

You are most welcome. Please keep me updated as to how things progress for her.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.