Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have noticed over the last week that my cat is not leaving…

Customer Question
I have noticed over the...
I have noticed over the last week that my cat is not leaving as much waste in the cat litter. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/27/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there. This is Dr. Gabby. Are you talking about less urine or feces in the litter box? Any vomiting? Did he just decide to live in your room this past week? Have you changed food brands recently?

Hi, As long as he is not going somewhere else.

At this point I would measure your food and water intake.

A cat should drink one ml of water per pound an hour.

For example an average 10 pound cat would drink 10 mls of water per hour. So that is 240 mls a day.

See if he is drinking a normal amount.

Then start measuring out his food. The amount to be fed should be on the label of the bag. Average is 1/2 a cup to 1 cup for a 10 pound cat per day. Since he does not get much exercise I would feed him on the low end.

That way you can be sure of his food and water intake amounts and if it is below normal.

If that is all normal then I would not be worried about less coming out unless the stools are abnormally hard, dry, small, or large.

And if the urine amounts are small, excessive, or there is blood then he needs to be seen by a vet.

An average cat has 1-2 bowel movements a day and urinates 2-4 times a day.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?