Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Yesterday my 14 yr old cat had many small urinations all…

Customer Question
Yesterday my 14 yr old...
Yesterday my 14 yr old cat had many small urinations all day, any natural solutions to this problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/27/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about your guy. How long has he been having he small urinations? Is he still eating and drinking? Does he seem uncomfortable? The reason I'm asking these questions is that the small frequent urinations could be due to sterile cystitis, urinary tract infection, bladder stones, or a urethral blockage. Here is a good link on the sterile cystitis.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=612

He would seem to be pretty old for this to be the first time for this. That is then the consideration that brings me to my more suspect situation, a urinary tract infection. When bacteria get into the bladder, they cause irritation that makes them feel like they constantly have to go. IF he has a urinary tract infection, a course of antibiotics is recommended for this. Your vet can screen for this by evaluation of a urine sample. The huge thing to make sure that isn't going on is a urinary blockage. This is the emergency situation. Here is a link on that.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1111

If a urinary blockage is there, he needs immediate treatment to relieve this. These are typically uncomfortable, vocal, and look stressed. I know you asked if there were natural solutions to the frequent urination. Unfortunately there aren't any that at this time can be done. He should be seen by your vet to get the correct diagnosis and then therapy started up.