Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We live in the country and our cat fell into some kind of…

Customer Question
We live in the country...
We live in the country and our cat fell into some kind of solvent oil-like material. We gave him A bath in hand dish soap detergent to get the oily substance off. we got a lot of it but there was some oil residue on the towel when we dried him. he wants to lick himself and we don't know how to clean off the residue
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/26/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Heavy duty mineral oil (baby oil without the perfume) is used to make the oil-like material miscible and easily washed and wiped off. Don't confuse mineral oil with mineral spirits which is quite toxic to cats. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

You Said to use heavy-duty mineral oil to clean the unknown solvent off of my cat. once I apply the mineral oil, do I wipe it off with clean dry cloths? and then should I try to bathe him in Dove soap to get the excess oils off of his fur? He is very oily & looks like a "wet cat", but it is leftover oil from his initial bath to try to remove The unknown oil/solvent. The oil/solvent smells strong too.

Yes, as mentioned above once the solvent oil-like material become miscible in the heavy duty mineral oil it then becomes easy to either wash or wipe off. You'll end up with a greasy cat that will need a few shampoos to remove the mineral oil mixture but at least Buddy can lick that mixture without intoxicating himself.