Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My outside feral cat seems to have what looks to be a bite…

Customer Question
My outside feral cat...

My outside feral cat seems to have what looks to be a bite mark on her foot. On both sides I see dots and the hair is missing. she is eating well and walking ok. Is it ok to give fish mox in case of infection?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

I have talked to a veterinarian. However, they want to see the cat but since she is feral its nearly impossible to get her in a cage. her name is ***** ***** she is going to be 3 this spring.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/25/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

You can use Fish Mox, but it's unlikely to have any antibacterial properties. Typically, we would use Clavamox or Amoxicillin or Cephalexin to treat an infection like this. I understand the difficulty with her being feral.

You may just have to let it heal on it's own. It sounds like it has already abscessed out and those are the holes you're seeing. If you can get close enough to use a topical antibiotic ointment, something like Neosporin would be fine.

If she stops using the limb, then I would want to try to use a live trap and get her to a vet. Otherwise, try the topical antibiotics +/- the fish mox and see if it helps.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?