Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I brought a feral cat home from work because she was in

Customer Question
great danger there. I've...
I brought a feral cat home from work because she was in great danger there. I've been feeding the cat for about 3 years at work and she has been letting me pet her.
I have her in a closed room away from my other cats (though I let her interact with my mild one to see if it would cheer her up and encourage her to eat.) She has been here 5 days now. The first days she ate almost nothing. I tried canned, dry, baby food, hamburger, turkey.... Yesterday my vet gave me Hills A/D and I have force fed her 3 times since yesterday afternoon. I probably got about 1/2 a can into her and a little water.
Obviously the force feeding is stressful for her, so I'd like to do it as little as possible. Plus, I don't want to fill her up so much that she isn't inclined to try to eat on her own. But, I don't want to get so little food into her that she gets sick. Can you offer me any guidance on this? Any tips on how to acclimate her? Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/25/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Thank you for helping with the feral cat population. Does she seem ill at all to you? A couple of options you have to help acclimate her is I have used a pheremone spray called Feliway in the past in anxious cats. It comes as a spray or a diffuser. As far as the appetite, I agree if you keep force feeding her she will get stressed. So one thing you can do is ask your veterinarian about an appetite stimulant. The most common one that I use is called Cyproheptadine. You can crush up the pill and then when you feed her the a/d you can give it to her at the same time. Hopefully that will encourage her to eat on her own.