Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3 year old cat (male) has had a recurring lump on s neck…

Customer Question
My 3 year old cat...
My 3 year old cat (male) has had a recurring lump on his neck that lasts for a few weeks and then seems to burst (maybe the cat is scratching it & causes it to bleed). At any rate, the thing comes back after a few weeks. Is this something I can prevent and if so how?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/24/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How large is the lump? Can you post a photo (using the paperclip icon above your text box or on another page and then post the link here)?

When it ruptures what color is the discharge inside? Is it odorous?

Does he have outdoor access?

Persie is an indoor cat along with his three brothers. The area is swollen and sore. A picture won't be happening he would not allow me to do it. It didn't have an odor last time and looked like blood. No puss that I could see.

Thank you,

That is a shame that Persie isn't amenable to a photo.

In any case, in regard to his situation, our main concerns for a recurring rupturing lump is an abscess or a cyst. In regards ***** ***** those tend to be more treatable. Often we can easily settle them with oral antibiotics from their vet. Though if we have a mild infection, you may be able to settle it by thorough flushing with salt water and use of an OTC antibiotic cream when it is open (before the skin can heal, lock in bacteria, and cause it to recur) 2-3 times daily. Otherwise, for cysts, those are not something that can be prevented at home since they are due to abnormal cells lining the cyst continually producing fluid. The only way to treat them is to have them surgically removed so that those cells aren't there to cause this.

With this all in mind, if this is open just now, you can try the above treatment for an abscess while blocking his access to scratching this (depending on its location you may be able to use an e-collar, a small t-shirt or a light gauze wrap). But if it recurs,t hen we are best to have this checked. If he is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up for him. If it is confirmed an abscess, then antibiotics can be dispensed. And if it is a cyst, your vet can give you an idea of cost of removal so that this can be settled and stop causing Persie bother.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
The spot did rupture again and I haven't seen any signs of infection. He is doing well.

Thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that he is well and hopefully we can topically treat this to get it settled (else a cyst would be suspect and worth having removed if its causing bother).

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

***Please remember to rate my service, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you. Thank you! : )