Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My husband and I were trying to get a ***** ***** tick off…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I were trying to get a ***** ***** tick off my dog. As we were removing it, the blood sac broke and dark blood went all over my husbands hands. He washed his hands but we are concerned because of what you can not see also sprayed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The tick was a big deer tick, full of blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/23/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now the blood sac is actually the body of the tick, so I would just note that if you didn't manage to remove the mouthparts out of your dog's skin then we could see an abscess form. Therefore, do salt water bathe the area and keep a close eye since she may need a short course of antibiotics from her vet. And I would note that that is the biggest risk here. Aerosol bits of blood aren't going to cause major issue for any of you and as long as he thoroughly washed his hands then we'd not expect any harm. All he was likely exposed to was your dog's blood and obviously your dog is in close contact with you a lot and therefore not a high risk of disease spread.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.

**Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)