Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat must have gotten in a fight last night. This morning…

Customer Question
My cat must have...

My cat must have gotten in a fight last night. This morning he had blood and a small cut near his neck. It seems minor but his right eye does not close now when he sleeps. The third eyelid rolls up, but I see no injury to the eye. I am worried that his eye will dry up. What should I do? The vet is closed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Must. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Must?

The cat has been injured in a cat fight. bloody scratch to neck and right eye will not close completely. how can I help keep his eye healthy

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/23/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Yes, you are correct in that the eye could dry up. However, you can go to the drug store or walmart and buy "Celluvisc" or lubricating eye drops.

Apply them every 4 hours to the affected eye during the night.

While you are awake I would do it every 2 hours.

If the third eyelid is extended he may have a tiny scratch on his cornea which is the transparent covering of the front of the eye.

So in the morning, he needs to see the vet.

The third eyelid can also extend when the nerves around the ear and the neck are inflamed or injured.

But the scratch on the eye is the most common reason.

The vet will have to put some special dye in the eye to see if there is s scratch. If there is the special yellow dye will stick to the scratch. And then he will be put on an antibiotic eye drop until the scratch heals to prevent infection.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I have human eye lubricating drops here at home. Will these work or is there a special cat lubricating drops needed?

Yes, those human ones will work just fine ; )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby