Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat, Caya, has something weird going on with her eyes.

Customer Question

My cat, Caya, has something weird going on with her eyes. They look watery and cloudy and the lid in the inside corner is showing. She is not quite a year old yet. She ate good tonight but those eyes have me concerned. Her last vet appt was back in September and things were fine a few months ago one of her eyes was watery and closed. I made a vet appt back then but when I woke up to take her they were fine so I cancelled the appt. Seems like that same right eye is a little worse than the left
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

If the "clouding" is due to cells in the anterior chamber of her eyes - the area between her cornea and iris - Caya is suffering from an anterior uveitis - inflammation of her iris and its attachments. You're also seeing her nictatating membranes (third eyelid) prolapsing across her corneas in an attempt to protect the eyes. Anterior uveitis has quite a few possible etiologies - idiopathic (unknown cause/most common), infectious (feline leukemia, feline immunodeficiency, and the FIP viruses are important differential diagnoses), and trauma (unlikely if both eyes are involved) are considered.

It's best that Caya's vet takes a look at Caya's eyes this time around. Testing for those viruses may be recommended and if negative for all, a systemic glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone plus topical ophthalmic prednisolone are likely to be prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She tested negative for feline leukemia back in september. I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow but could this be life threatening? Is this an emergency? She does not act like she is in pain

No, it's not an emergency and it would only be life-threatening if FIV or FIP were present. Yes, it's remarkable how normal these cats continue to act. Please continue our conversation if you wish.