Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is vomitting acute last week, now it's been exactly 2…

Customer Question
My cat is vomitting...

My cat is vomitting acute for the last week, now it's been exactly 2 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He's drooling a lot and vomitting again I really appreciate your help. We've been to the vet hospital and admitted him two different one's He's a siamese, i year old and four months

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

He was given IV, and anti vomit medication. Sub IV for th efirst week, then we switched to another Vet hospital (cheaper) and got him overnight hospitalization with IV.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/23/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with your young cat. Can you tell me which diagnostics have been performed to date? In general, we start with diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and if nothing untoward is found, ultrasound the abdomen of these patients. If once again nothing untoward is seen, scoping and biopsy of the gastrointestinal tract is performed. Two weeks of vomiting should dictate such advanced diagnostics. We're looking for an occult foreign body in such a young cat as well as inflammatory bowel disease and infiltrative gastrointestinal neoplasia such as lymphoma.

we had x rays done + blood work (high levels of certain proteins, white blood cells) can't find the sheet right now, vet office is closed.Just to review here are his symptoms for the last week:1.Vomiting white/clear foam
2. No eating or drinking since Monday February 8th (normal, on his own).
-vomiting of bile 12-18 times
3. First Veternarian Hospital:
-Given IV (sub- under the skin) four-five times from February 9th-16th.
-Blood work taken
-anti-vomit medication x2
-anti-inflammatory shot given (for intestines to reduce swelling..abdomen)4.Switched to different Veterinarian hospital for overnight, continuous IV care + food. X rays taken of abdomen. First time was regular. Second time was with a liquid to see if there was any blockage in his intestines.
5. Improved conditions: dehydration was gone
6. He had severe constipation and had his first bowel "movement", due to the nurse/vet giving him enema
7. Given laxatives (liquid), antibiotics (10 pills), increase appetite pills x 1, vet food (8 pack)Note: I just noticed the antibiotic pills in his bag. Not sure how we forgot about these. We got confused with all the other medication.CURRENT CONDITION:
-Dehydrated
-Not drinking water for three days now
-no bowel movement
-a lot of drooling
-not "force eating" from me, drooling a lot when I give him food, non stop drooling for 10-15 minutes.
IMG_20160217_140146.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160217_140148.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160217_140211.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160217_140219.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160217_140222.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160217_140317.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160217_140317.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160217_140351.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160217_140533.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20160217_140512.jpgIMG_201...jpg
Correction: Last two weeks symptoms

Thank you. I see the constipation but only an incomplete barium study. Can I assume that it moved through his GI tract and no foreign body was seen? I very much want to review his test results. Can you upload a copy of the test results to our conversation? I understand that you don't have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I need to know about those elevated proteins.

He needs to be hospitalized once again and the next diagnostic of choice is an abdominal ultrasound. I can be more accurate after I review his biochemical testing. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian