Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a punture wound I have no clue how she did it…

Customer Question
my cat has a...
my cat has a punture wound I have no clue how she did it underneath her right leg it is not bleeding but her leg is swollen she is eating and drinking and can put pressure on it when she walks she is laying down alot I do not have the money to go to a vet and I am so worried about her
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
she keeps the wound clean it is the size of a dime a tad smaller I have been feeding her tuna with a low dose bayer aspirin
2/22/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has it been present?

Any discharge, pus, or odor?

Since aspirin isn't advisable for cats, can you tell me how much you gave, how often, and how much she weighs?

Can you take a photo of this leg and the wound? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check

You are very welcome,

Now you didn't note how many milligrams of aspirin you gave, but I do have to warn you that this really shouldn't be used. While its the least toxic of our OTC human anti-inflammatories, Aspirin is poor pain relief in cats (we actually don't use it for pain and only use it for heart cases to prevent clotting), is a blood thinner (never advisable with wounds), and can cause GI upset and stomach ulcers. So, it is best avoided here for your lass.

Now that wound is traumatic in nature and appears to be full thickness through the skin layer. Now cats are good at healing wounds, but this one is gaping excessively (the tissue needs to be aligned to close) and the edges don't look fresh which will retard any healing. As well, if this happened 2 days ago, then I'd be concerned that the swelling is a combination of soft tissue inflammation and possible cellulitis. In this case, the best approach would really be systemic/oral antibiotics and cat safe pain relief (ie Metacam) from her vet. As well, if all the wound edges are granulated as the ones I can see, then it really is an instance where we'd want this surgically stitched or at least stapled close to help the body heal this properly.

Now I do appreciate that funds are an issue, still I do want to offer some possible avenues to get your wee one some help in her time of need. First, I would note that both VCA + Banfield offer a free 1st consult offer that may be an option here. You can find their vouchers @ VCA (Voucher: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) or Banfield (Voucher: http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon?). That would at least offset costs to get her seen and get medication for her. Though as well, the Humane Society (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html)and ASPCA (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills) both have good databases of charities that could help you get the care she needs as quickly as possible. And that would be best because home treatment is going to be of limited benefit for her and with the swelling we really need to head off any cellulitis with antibiotics to ensure we help her the best we can.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian