Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 12 pound cat ate a 25mg benedryl. Gabe 4 years, He is…

Customer Question
My 12 pound cat...

My 12 pound cat ate a 25mg benedryl.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Gabe 4 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gabe?

He is foaming at the mouth

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/22/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he have this?

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but do want to post my thoughts on this situation for Gabe.

First, I would note that most cats do drool with Benadryl ingestion because it is quite bitter tasting. As well, it can cause stomach upset with nausea which often leads to drooling as well. That all said, if he is 12lbs, then this is a 2mg/lb dose and is actually just at the top of normal dosing range for cats. Therefore, this isn't toxic nor is it an overdose.

With that in mind, we do have a few options. Now if has just had this, then we could induce vomiting or treat with activated charcoal (both of which I am happy to discuss with you if you wished to use these). Still, again since it is a normal dose for his weight, we can just rinse his mouth with cool water to remove that bitter taste and just plan to monitor. Since it can cause stomach upset, we can plan to just keep him on small meals of a light diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). As well, we just want to keep things calm and keep him indoors today since this dose could make him a bit drowsy for the next 12-24 hours.

Overall, this is thankfully not a cat toxic product and the dose he has had is the high end normal dose for his size. Therefore, we don't need to alarmed here and can err on the side of caution if we wish but otherwise can just rinse his mouth and monitor for today.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )