Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat lost alot of hair due to fleas. She is now taking a safe

Customer Question
Customer: She lost alot of...
Customer: She lost alot of hair due to fleas. She is now taking a safe anti flea tablet that has a safe amount of garlic to get rid of the fleas. She has many allergies and get shots every 4 months. Will she grow her hair back, she is part Maine Coon and looks very funny with a fluffy neck and head and very little hair on her back and tail.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Captain and only has one good eye because of a virus her mother had when she was born. I had her eye operated on but she only kept the sight in the one eye for a week.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Captain?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/21/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear that Captain lost an eye and now all her hair.

Usually once you treat for the fleas and the allergies, the hair does grow back, but it can take 1 to 3 months. If it does not grow back, you may want to check for hormone imbalances causing her hair loss.

Melatonin may help grow new hair: 3 mg daily.

Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer. Rebecca

I hope you could see my answer. Can I help with or answer anything else?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian