Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat is walking around with s head down like a prancing…

Customer Question
Our cat is walking around...
Our cat is walking around with his head down like a prancing horse he can't lift his head why would he be doing this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/21/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Any other symptoms?

No

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, what you are describing in your cat is called ventral flexion of the neck. This usually occurs as a result of low potassium in the blood which can occur secondary to an underlying medical disorder like: Kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, etc. The immediate concern is that this can affect his heart and be fatal if not treated promptly. For this reason I would strongly recommend to not wait and have him checked by ER veterinarian tonight. There is not much you will be able to do at home. He will need to be placed on an IV to correct the electrolyte abnormality. In addition, ER vet can run some testing to determine the exact cause for the low potassium.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Took him to the vet had blood tests and they said all ok they gave him antiflamotry he still hanging his head tilted to the ground he can't lift his head

If the potassium levels are normal it is possible this could be neuromuscular. Wait and see how he responds to the anti inflammatory medication.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian