Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Someone gave me Purina Vet Diet UR. Can I feed this to my…

Customer Question
Someone gave me Purina Vet...
Someone gave me Purina Vet Diet UR. Can I feed this to my older diabetic cat? Small amounts at a time? His insulin does control his diabetes, but blood level still up. Vet said since he's doing fine, not to mess with it. He get 4 units 2x a day.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/20/2016
Cat Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
brisadog

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Cat Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

After insulin, the most important thing to control diabetes is diet.

Cat Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

His diet should be high in protein and low in carbohydrate, such as Purina DM or Hills M/D. It also needs to be very consistent. He should be fed the same type of food, in the same amount, at the same time each day. I do not recommend using the Purina UR food (too high in carbohydrate), and I do not recommend switching diets.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian