Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Been taking care of some feral cats in my backyard and one…

Customer Question
Been taking care of...

Been taking care of some feral cats in my backyard and one has a problem with a tail that is bleeding. It heals then he must scratch it again and it opens up once more. I have some meds from my dog like, Genta Spray, Metronidazole 250mg, Baytril 68 mg, Amoxitabs 150 mg and Dexamthasone 0.25 mg. Was wondering if any would be useful to put in this cat's food as I feed him. I had them ALL fixed a few years ago so I have invested a lot of time and money put would like to help this little guy heal. Thanks!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Bobby & Amy

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/20/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I can understand why you'd be so concerned about this one feral cat and applaud your desire to help him. It's possible that the tail is infected which is why it continues to bleed.

I'm not certain if you're able to clean the tail or not but the following would be my suggestions (in addition to which antibiotic would be the best choice).

1. Gently clean the tail with over the counter, dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea). You could even put it in a spray bottle and spritz the tail twice a day if he won't let you touch it.

2. Amoxitabs would be a good choice for him. The dose for a 10 lb cat would be about 100-150 mg twice a day. Putting it in his food is what I'd suggest (as you plan to do) and hope that he doesn't eat everything but the pill. You could crush it which might work better.

3. Another perfect product for this situation would be Vetericyn Spray which is available at many local pet or grain stores or can be purchased online. It's completely non-toxic and therefore won't be harmful should he ingest any of it.

4. I wouldn't use the Genta spray if it has steroids in it (betamethasone for example) since steroids will retard healing.

I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your injured feral cat. How is he doing? Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian