Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat keeps yowling, I went to comfort m and he attacked me…

Customer Question
My cat keeps yowling, I...
My cat keeps yowling, I went to comfort him and he attacked me and he also smells like urine
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/20/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Adele, are you seeing Lucha make multiple trips to his litterbox and licking his genital area excessively?

We don't have a litter box he goes to toilet outside in garden but lately he just sits under a bush and won't come near me

Thank you, Adele. Because of his behavior and smelling like urine, my major concern was that Lucha was suffering from idiopathic cystitis - a sterile inflammation of the bladder in which large amounts of mucus and grit are formed in the irritated bladder. That material can pass out with the urine, form "plugs" of that material which then can obstruct a male cat's urethra. This describes the "blocked cat" who is painful and at risk of suffering from renal failure if he can't urinate for as little as 36 hours. I understand your constraints at this time but unless his vet can examine him, we're both flying blind here.

Thanks for your help

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Hi Adele,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?