Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Lou & a Guinea pig. We purchased 2 baby female Guinea pigs 3

Customer Question
Lou & a young Guinea...
Lou & a young Guinea pig.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We purchased 2 baby female Guinea pigs 3 weeks ago. They are now estimated to be 9-10 weeks old. 1 is loud & active & the other quiet & inactive. Last night I noticed the less active one had a rough spot on her tummy. It isn't round, but feels rough like a callus.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/20/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome. I apologize that my colleagues could not assist you while I was away. Still, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Do you feel this quiet one is eating, drinking, and maintaining its weight as normal?

Does the spot appear itchy? Or do you see this wee one groom more?

Any pustules, pimples, scabs or ulcers here?

Can you take a photo of this spot? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post photos online, you can use the paperclip icon above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr,Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh yes, she is eating & drinking & has regular urination & bowel movements. I put Neosporin on it last night & today it looks smaller. A lady at Petco said that is fine to use on them. It isn't round, so sure it isn't ringworm. The spot isn't oozing anything, but today it is scaley. I attached 3 different pictures. They are hard to see real well, they & it is so small, but I hope it is clear enough for you to see what is going on. These are our first Guinea pigs, so all this is new.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that she is otherwise showing normal appetite and associated activities. Though I do have to advise you not to use the Neosporin (especially if it contains bacitracin) here since if either cavy licks this off we could see severe diarrhea as the product can damage the good GI bacteria in their gut. In fact, this risk or ingestion is why we don't tend to use any topical antibiotic creams with them and that sensitivity is why this species cannot use many of the antibiotics our other pet species can.

Now looking at this lesion, I agree that ringworm is unlikely (especially as it cannot cause masses itself). Instead, at her age, the most common reason for this type of lump would be an abscess. And that could certainly cause her to be more subdued then her companion. We can see cysts, benign growths, and cancers appear this way; but isn't as likely in a cavy this age.

So, in this case, we'd really want to have this checked by her local vet so that it can be sampled. If they confirm our suspicions, then cavy safe systemic/oral antibiotics dispensed. That way we can treat this from the inside out and get this settled for her.

If you don’t already have an exotics vet, you can find one near you at http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm or HERE (http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html) . If you are struggling also check here (http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html), as rabbit vets often see our wee pocket pets as well.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian