Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

About a month ago I noticed that my cat couldn't focus

Customer Question
properly and her eyes looked...
About a month ago I noticed that my cat couldn't focus properly and her eyes looked strange, I took her to a vet that she had been to occasionally, she is now 10 years old.
The vet said she may have a tooth problem, but didn't say anything about her eyes.
I then saw that her pupils were becoming totally dilated and somehow I knew she was blind suddenly. I then took her to an ophthalmologist the vet recommended. She said that Misty was blind, which was really amazing and we couldn't figure out how or why this happened. We then searched around for an answer at different vets, they kept saying everything about her is healthy, heart, lungs etc. But, she developed this bump on her nose and it continued to get bigger and a lot of wheezing noise developed so I continued with the most recent vet, and they took out a tooth, gave her eye drops, Clavamox, Prednisone, and some liquid to put in the food, can't remember the name, and this has continued for 3 weeks. They also took one tooth out and a biopsy which came back to today with the result Lymphoma. Which I believe is feline leukemia. How did she get this awful illness, and does it affect the eyes, and now we have to decide to put her to sleep tomorrow morning. Is there anything else we can do? She is a beautiful silver grey cat, so sweet and gentle and of course we don't want her to suffer.
I thought I would check in the you, as I could learn a little more, so I can protect my other cats. I have quite a few. Thank you very much for any help and advice you can give us.
Shirley in Miami, Fl
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/19/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am so sorry to hear about Misty. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Did your vet run a blood test and diagnose her with Feline Leukemia?

Is she on any medications at this point?

Thank you Dr. John. Good question, they did a biopsy when they took the tooth out but never mentioned blood! I have all the paperwork, and I can go over it but my friend and I do not recall any mention of blood work
They just finished the medications, the first one completely used up was Clavamox, the second Prednisone and the third Tobramycin and one I don't remember until I go over the paperwork that went into the food (I think because I couldn't give it to her myself by mouth) I went nearly every night for them to give her the medications.
She did a biopsy of her lymph notes and that is all I think the vet (she) did.
sorry, lymph nodes!

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. I just logged back on this morning. Lymphoma is just a cancer that cats are prone to. She didn't catch it from any other cat. Feline leukemia can cause lymphoma, but it is not always the cause of lymphoma. Just like certain people develop cancer, the same is true for cats. There is probably a genetic component to it. If you want to see if she has leukemia, then your vet can run a blood test on her to diagnose it. If she is negative, then I wouldn't worry about anything being transmitted to your other cats. If she is positive, then I would have your other cats tested. I hope this answers the questions you have. If not, please let me know. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian