Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He was in vet hospital days and came home s eyes are very

Customer Question
Customer: he was in vet...
Customer: he was in vet hospital for 2 days and came home his eyes are very dilated now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: leo
JA: Huh?
Customer: leo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: are there meds the hospital could have given him causing his eyes to dilate he acts like he is blind
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought I was getting my answer now what gives
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where is my answer
2/18/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow has dilated pupils and appears to not be able to see.

There are several reasons for the eyes to dilate.

Fear, pain and the release of adrenaline can cause pupils to dilate, but once he was back home and comfortable again they should have returned to normal. So either his pupils aren't dilated due to fear or pain or he is still very stressed or painful, or there is another reason.

Cats that are hyperthyroid (a tumor of the thyroid gland that releases high levels of thyroid hormones and thus makes the kitty feel on edge) could cause dilated pupils. If a cat is hyperthyroid for a period of time we can see secondary hypertension and bleeding into the eye. That can lead to loss of vision due to retinal detachment or retinal bleeds.

Cats can develop glaucoma and that can lead to loss of vision and dilated pupils.

Cats with kidney disease can develop secondary hypertension and bleeding into the eye. That can lead to loss of vision due to retinal detachment or retinal bleeds.

If it were one eye then a tumor in the eye could be responsible.

Less commonly we can see uveitis (inflammation in the eye), which can lead to red eyes, with inflammatory cells infiltrating the eye which can lead to loss of vision and dilated pupils. These cats have red eyes and may have cloudy looking eyes. This can be due to a viral or bacterial, parasitic (toxoplasmosis) or fungal infection or it can be idiopathic (unknown reason).

Primary optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve that connect the eye to the brain can cause blindness and dilated pupils.

There are drugs, such as epinephrine, atropine, and some pain medications that can cause dilated pupils, but they should not lead to blindness and if he has been home for a few days they should be out of his system and his eyes should be back to normal or getting better.

Why was he hospitalized? This may be a complication of the disease process he was being treated for or a new problem.

At this point your fellow likely needs to be rechecked.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he was in hospital for upper resp infection and given meds when he came home with recuperatiom cat/gato
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
did you get my response

Thanks, ***** ***** was being treated for an upper respiratory infection. We don't usually hospitalize these kitties, he must have been very sick.

What symptoms did he have (sneezing, runny eyes, cough)?

Were his eyes involved and is he being medicated with eye drops?

How do his eyes look now other than being dilated (red, weepy, swollen?)?

I am not sure what you mean by "recuperatiom cat/gato"?

Is he an older fellow?

How is he feeling otherwise? Is he eating and drinking normally?

Was any diagnostic testing done, or was he just receiving supportive care?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he was not moving or eating just sleep took to ER they gave IV and meds he is home now laying sleeping not eating just got some water (after 2 days) vet said eyes could be from meds but 2days still very dilated
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have to go thanks

I looked up and found "Viyo Recuperatiom cat/gato" which is a supplement used to rehydrate and replace lost vitamins, minerals and omega 3 fatty given to recuperating cats that aren't eating and drinking normally. Nothing in that product should cause dilated pupils. My concern is that there is something else underlying that allowed him to get sicker than most cats would with a simple upper respiratory infection. That may be primary organ failure (kidney disease), hyperthyroidism, and/or an immunosuppressive virus like feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency virus. I'm not sure what meds that they administered so I cannot say whether they could cause dilated pupils, but two days later I would expect them to be back to normal or improving.

I highly recommend a recheck, blood pressure measurement, and some blood tests to look for underlying disease processes.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty Leo. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian