Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My son's pet rabbit jumped off the bed and hurt it's right

Customer Question

My son's pet rabbit jumped off the bed and hurt it's right hind leg. He went to the vet with her (2) and they both say they can't do the surgery here and sending her out to Alaska would cost 3 to 4 thousand dollars. She drags her right hind leg but seems to be fine otherwise (mind you it might be the melds). She's been eating well and pooping as normal. The vets suggested putting her down. I don't want to do that if I have other options. My son loves this rabbit.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about the rabbit.

If there is paralysis to one of the legs, it's probably due to a spinal fracture or dislocation. This is the most common hind limb/ spinal injury in rabbits. They can kick so hard that they fracture or dislocate the spine. It's usually both rear legs that are affected, but sometimes just one leg.

The treatment is surgery- stabilize the spine with plates or screws. Another option is to just amputate the leg that is not working and make him a 3-legged rabbit. No matter what, I would consult with an exotics vet or an orthopedic surgeon. The availability will be few and far between in your area. The cost is also likely to run 2000-4000 depending on the procedure.

If the travel or cost is not an option, euthanasia is not at all the wrong decision. That is the decision that most people make with spinal injuries in rabbits.

I'm sorry you're in this situation, let me know if you have any other questions.