Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Ferret lost motor skills

Customer Question
ferret lost motor skills
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/18/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Jess K, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your ferret- has he just become very weak and so cannot move? Is he drooling at all?

no drooling he just seems to stagger. he ate earlier and is trying to move around.doesnt appear weak or really disoriented

Any possible trauma? Anything in the house he could have gotten into? Any other health abnormalities recently? Are his gums pink or do they seem pale in color?

gums are pink could have hurt himself but he is not adventurous we try to keep ferret safe his neck does seem bent possible cramp issue or break?
no areas seem sensitive.

So the most common cause of weakness in a ferret is hypoglycemia due to a insulin secreting tumor of the pancreas. Just in case that is the issue here, I would recommend rubbing karo syrup or honey on his gums to try to get some extra sugar into this blood stream.

You feel like his neck looks bent strangely?

will try syrup neck looks slightly crooked but he is able to scratch and move without discomfort

Ok. The karo syrup is about the only thing you are going to be able to do for him at home. I would recommend getting him to a vet ASAP. I don't know if you have an emergency one available or not, but if not, then first thing in the morning. There are many different things that can cause leg weakness in ferrets. The insulinoma is the most common (and hypoglycemia can become life threatening- if your ferret becomes more weak/lethargic or has seizures, this is an emeregency), other possiblities include trauma/spinal cord compression, abdominal masses/tumors, enlarged spleen, cardiac issues, and more. To determine which would be causing these would require an exam. Here is an article with a little info on this: http://www.petmd.com/ferret/conditions/neurological/c_ft_paralysis_and_paresis

http://www.petmd.com/ferret/conditions/neurological/c_ft_paralysis_and_paresis

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Guinness. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay
Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian