Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat is acting strangley, she isn't eating and now she is moving around disoriented, her name is Sully, and she is about

Customer Question
She is acting strangley...

She is acting strangley

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

She isn't eating and now she is moving around disoriented

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is Sully

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sully?

And she is about 5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sully?

She wasn't moving yesterday and today she is moving

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/17/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she strictly indoors?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

She is in and out. She actually attacks me if I don't let her out once a day.
No vomiting, no diarrhea, or coughing.
She's never been sick.
It's hard to say if she got into anything because this cat is always into something. I came home and found her stuck in my shelves. It looked as if she had been ripping the house apart. But I am having construction done on my kitchen so who knows what she could have licked. This is the most rambunctious willful cat I have ever had.
Also I tried to feed her soft food and water today but she wouldn't eat or drink.
She isn't crying so I don't think she's in pain.
Plus she's been in the house for about 9 days straight.

1- Can you describe what she is doing strange besides being in the shelves?

2- Any other symptoms?

Yesterday she wasn't moving at all. Earlier today she was moving a little. Then about 30 minutes ago I heard her moving around a lot. I went to check on her and her eyes were vacant. She seems weak and is dragging her back legs. She hasn't eaten and won't drink water.

1- Is she able to support weight on her back legs?

2- Is it possible for you to take a rectal temperature on her or she is not friendly?

3- Any other symptoms?

I don't have a rectal thermometer. She isn't unfriendly just weak and mostly unresponsive. Yesterday she wasn't responding to her name at all. Today it seems as if she hears me but her eyes are vacant. Earlier today they were like slots now they're more open. It just doesn't seem as if she can get her legs to go straight. Theyre being dragged. But when I picked her up and touched her neck and legs she didn't cry out.

Please give me a few more minutes as I type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, her behavior of being withdrawn, not eating, lethargic, etc. are directly related to not feeling well. I believe whatever is affecting her back legs is the primary problem. There are many possible medical causes that will cause her back legs to not work properly. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Weakness secondary to a fever, infections, kidney or liver disease. There could also be neuromuscular disorders like: A pinched nerve along the back, hip disorders (fractures, dislocation), etc. to name a few causes.

In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. Your cat really needs a hands on examination by a veterinarian to determine the exact underlying cause. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter