Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My male, four-year-old cat is very aggressive toward my

Customer Question
elderly 18-year-old female cat. Both...
My male, four-year-old cat is very aggressive toward my elderly 18-year-old female cat. Both are fixed. The male has been aggressive with her since he was a kitten, and now he jumps on her back and grabs her by the back of the neck. She can never walk across a room without being harassed by him. The male cat also is aggressive with me at time -- he loves me, and it's almost like he wants to own and control me. I welcome any suggestions about ways to deal with this. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/17/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. It sounds like Toby has some aggression and hunting play he needs to get out of is system. Normally wen the cat is jumping you and other cats it is because he has too much energy and needs to get it out of his system.

So I would try to play with him every day to keep him tired. You can use a laser pointer or laser pointer cat toy. No it will not make him blind if it shines in his eyes. That is a myth.

I like to buy the cat toys that are like fishing poles with toys at the end.

Try to wear him out daily.

If he is able to get his play and hunting activity out with you and a toy then he should stop stalking you and the other cat.

It sounds more like excess energy than anxiety.

There is a great show on Animal Planet Channel show called "My Cat from Hell." The cat whisperer, Jackson Galaxy, works wit different cases every week. Many of the cats on the show are attacking everyone and he goes over how to deal with it. Usually once they have ore exercise and get their aggression out with toys then they stop attacking others.

You can watch it on youtube.com if you do not have cable.

I learn a lot from the show.

Here are some examples of it you can watch for free my cat from hell

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby