Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

What is causing my cats ears to bleed. she is being treated

Customer Question
with steroid injections for lip...
what is causing my cats ears to bleed. she is being treated with steroid injections for lip and gum disease but 3 days ago I wiped her ears and they started bleeding very badly. can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/17/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Does her ears seem painful?

Is there any debris or bad odor coming out of her ears?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is several scabs she constantly shakes her ears and when I touch the inside it starts bleeding at the scab location
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but the bad odor is mainly coming from her mouth. She is being treated for Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex and has been for the past two years. She was an in patient for 3 days at the vets office - while she was on the examining table is when I wiped her ears and they started bleeding right away.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
her ears are very painful to the touch
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still there?

Hello. I will be right with you. Sorry for the wait. I just got out of surgery.

The first thing I would be concerned about is that she has an ear infection. It may be related to the eosinophilic granuloma complex, but it may not be. My thought is that there is a relation. Sometimes it can spread a little further or even affect the tube connecting the nasal cavity and ears. I would have your vet do an otoscopic exam, though. They can see if there is a lot of debris, a mass or sores that may be related to the mouth issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry to say I had my can put to sleep on this day. The infection was related to the complex and she was surely suffering terribly. Took the humane instinct God blessed me with and had her put down. She was a sweet 14 year old lap kitty - sure gonna miss her.

I am so very sorry to hear that. It definitely sounds like you did the right thing, though. My condolences go out to you and your family. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian