Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

One of my stray cats that I feed and shelter looks like he…

Customer Question
One of my stray cats...
One of my stray cats that I feed and shelter looks like he has a cut (from a fight?) right near his eye. My question is can I try to get antibiotic cream on him and if it should go into his eye, would it be harmful?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/16/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Jess K, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty! When I have a cut near an eye in a pet, I do usually try to use an antibiotic ointment specifically made for the eye in case some does go into the eye. If you have a vet you see regularly, you could call and see if they would be willing to give you a tube for this situation. If that isn't possible, you could use a q-tip to apply a very thin layer of neosporin in the hopes that if it is a very tiny amount, it won't get rubbed into the eye.

If you have any other questions, please let me know! If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!