Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

It's been 3hours and my cat has only had 1kitten and she…

Customer Question
It's been 3hours and my...
It's been 3hours and my cat has only had 1kitten and she isn't producing milk, love what do I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/16/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Neither failure to produce milk (agalactia) or failure to let down milk has been recognized in cats and so Misfit should be able to nurse the kitten and you should encourage nursing by placing the kitten on Misfit's nipples - particularly the inguinal mammary glands (the ones closest to her rear end) which are usually the most milk-engorged.

She may only have had one kitten to deliver. If it's obvious that she has more inside of her you need to be aware of what consitutes dystocia (difficult birth) and indicates having a vet take a look at her...

1) If active stage 2 labor (active contractions) last more than an hour without producing a kitten she can be in trouble

2) If more than 3 hours pass between kittens without active contractions, she can be in trouble

3) Dystocia is uncommon in cats, however. Incidence is a very low 0.22%. Normal parturition can take greater than 24 hours. The median parturition length is ~ 8 hours with a range of 4- 42 hours.

Keep the kitten very warm. An 85F environment is ideal for neonates. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Misfit hasn't had anymore kitten her belly is still large. I have made appointment to take her in today

Thank you for the update. I'm pleased to hear that she'll be well attended to. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.