Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat won't eat or drink, her pupils are extremely dilated…

Customer Question
Hi - my cat...

Hi - my cat won't eat or drink, her pupils are extremely dilated and she is weeping

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is probably about 8 although I'm not certain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bonnie?

She has been sleeping for the past 2+ days and doesn't respond when I pick her up

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/16/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm really sorry to hear that Bonnie hasn't been feeling well - I'll do my best to help.

I'm very worried about her based on your short description. It's definitely not normal for a cat to not respond to you when you pick them up. This alone is enough to warrant considering taking her to a veterinary emergency hospital ASAP. The very dilated pupils could be a sign of acute blindness, which could also make her more likely to not want to move around. Sudden blindness and very dilated pupils can happen from retinal detachments caused by high blood pressure, kidney or thyroid disease, or cancers. There are some very serious diseases on the list here, and that's why I would urge you to take her in for an exam ASAP. Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)