petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I can't afford to fix my cat's bleeding cherry eye

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Janie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

How long has the gland been prolapsed?

What are the medications that you are using?

Is she rubbing her eye or is it irritating her?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 weeks
Busch & Lomb Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution USP,0.3% (sterile) Rx only
CVS Lubricant Eye Drops Advanced relief Sterile
She licks her paw and rubs the eye
It doesn't seem to be irritating her, but it bleeds every so often
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

I am assuming that a veterinarian prescribed these medications. Do you know if they applied stain to the cornea to look for surface scratches or ulcers?

The gland is most likely bleeding due to irritation from being exposed. Sometimes treatment with a steroid eye drop will allow the inflammation to resolve which will shrink the size of the gland and allow it to slip back into place. A corneal stain would need to be done first though if not already done as steroids can be harmful if there is a surface abrasion on the cornea.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z