Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My kitten (just about 7 weeks old) has just developed a huge…

Customer Question
My kitten (just about 7...
My kitten (just about 7 weeks old) has just developed a huge belly over a day. He has no problem with his urine or stool. There are no worms in there either he has been dewormed last week at the vet. He seems to be happy as he just played something with me. I just started to feed him wet food could that be the reason? Also there was some milk in the kitchen (kitten milk) for two days and while i was cleaning his litter box he just slurped it all clean. Would that cause any complication for him? I just gave him fresh milk and he had a bit of his wet food?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/14/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

The consumption of the milk could cause some bad diarrhea or vomiting, but would not result in a huge belly. At this age, I am very concerned the distended belly appearance could be due to ascites, or fluid buildup, and this can be caused by serious viral infection.

Even if everything else seems fine, that belly needs to be evaluated by a vet, and I would not take a wait and see approach.

I can't say, at this age, that eating a lot of anything wouldn't cause a distended belly appearance, but if it is persisting, that is a serious red flag and well worth the vet recheck ASAP.

At this age, he does not requrie any milk. He should already be fully weaned on to a kitten food.

Hope that information helps

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zibidi. How is everything going?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director