Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is a loving and playful bengal mix who loves to sleep…

Customer Question
She is a loving...

She is a loving and playful bengal mix who loves to sleep and cuddle with me. She is 6 years old. Every once in a while she will attack and bite my arm while I am sleeping, leaving scratches that bleed very little. This usually happens between 4 and 6 am. Usually she purrs loudly when she is on the bed with me, but there is no purring when the attacks happen. I will push her off the bed and sit up and watch her. Within minutes she begins to purr, jumps up on the bed and cuddles again. I wonder if she just gets into a hunting mode every once in a while and attacks me as her prey.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the Bengal. What is the Bengal's name?

Emma

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?

No, she has been checked by the vet recently and is quite healthy and active.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/14/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. I think you are correct. She wants to hunt and play. The best thing you can do for her is to get that out of her system before you go to bed. Try using a laser pointer or a cat toy on a fishing pole.

What she is doing is pretty common. Even my own cats will do that to me if I do not play with them enough and get that out of their systems.

Have you ever watched the show "My cat from hell?" Not saying that is your cat but the professional Jackson Galaxy gives many ideas how to get that attack behavior out of the cats system. I put a link if you want to watch some of the videos. I am a vet and they are still helpful to me.

link