Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My kitten got diarrhea yesterday, not sure but it may be

Customer Question
because he ate some lizard...
My kitten got diarrhea yesterday, not sure but it may be because he ate some lizard poop, can activated charcoal help, what will help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/14/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your kitten. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I would not use activated charcoal. It is not that helpful for diarrhea, and can cause problems like her sodium levels dropping too low. You can try probiotics, beneficial bacteria supplements. I like ones made just for cats, like Fortiflora or Proviable. You can use Culturelle from a drug store for people.

If the diarrhea persists, I would have a stool specimen examined microscopically for parasites. Not all parasites are worms and most are too small to see with the naked eye.

Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.

How is your Blitz today? Can I answer anything else?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian