Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a kitten 6 mos. old. She has been throwing up since

Customer Question

I have a kitten 6 mos. old. She has been throwing up since about 5PM today, about every 20 minutes on an average.
I took her food away from her and made sure she had water.
I don't know what to do since this is my first cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm so sorry to hear that Mika has been sick today - I'll do my best to help.

You did right so far in taking away her food. Is she drinking any of the water? If it seems that she's drinking water and that's leading her to continue vomiting, I'd also take the water away for a few hours. Check to be sure that her gums are still pink and moist - if they are dry this means that she's dehydrated. Since she' vomiting so much you won't be able to rehydrate her at home orally - she will just throw up anything that you give her. The pink color to the vomit does concern me a bit. It could just be that she's got some esophagitis from all the vomiting, but we don't like to see pink or red color to the vomit. If it's at all possible for you to get her to a vet tonight, that would definitely be ideal. It may just be a viral thing, but in a young cat we also worry about foreign body obstructions as well - young cats do get into all sorts of stuff that they shouldn't. If it's absolutely not possible for her to be examined tonight, then there's some risk that she will continue to get sicker and be harder to treat when she does get to the vet. She'll need some time with no food or water to allow her stomach to settle. You can start with a little water tomorrow morning if the vomiting stops. If this is a viral thing (think stomach flu) or a dietary indiscretion (I ate something that didn't agree with me), then it may pass on it's own. From what you're describing, though, I'd suggest seeking veterinary care if at all possible.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)