Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Y cat has a tennis ball sized tour on her belly from which…

Customer Question
y cat has a tennis...
y cat has a tennis ball sized tour on her belly from which she has kicked all fur and.sk I n.it smells awfuyets& she has an appetite and still trots a%ounc a,ND jump $p on thebed.*.idon't know what to do for he%. Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/13/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm really sorry to hear that your kitty has been ill, especially at such a young age. I will do my best to help.

Unfortunately it sounds like you're describing a mammary tumor (breast tumor). There are many different types of cancers that can occur in the cat, but masses on the ventral belly are frequently mammary tumors. Unfortunately they can be quite malignant. The only way to know what type of tumor it is would be to get a biopsy sample surgically. Sometimes we can remove a mass like this, but if it's a malignant mammary tumor they often do grow back, which is why the prognosis even with surgery is usually not good. Unfortunately, besides surgery, there's not going to be a lot that you can do. Once these tumors outgrow their blood supply, the tissue inside begins to die and decompose. That leads to a fetid yucky smell and an open wound. It can be really difficult to assess their quality of life, but generally any sort of large open wound is going to be painful. If there's truly nothing that can be done surgically, then you're just aiming to keep her happy and comfortable for as long as she has until her quality of life is no longer acceptable.

Here are a couple of links to help you place an objective number on a very subjective subject:

http://vet.osu.edu/assets/pdf/hospital/companionAnimals/HonoringtheBond/HowDoIKnowWhen.pdf

http://www.aplb.org/resources/quality-of-life_scale.php

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)