Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

In 24 hours the hair fell out and bleeding where very small…

Customer Question
In 24 hours the...

In 24 hours the hair fell out and bleeding where very small spot of dog Advantage was put on cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Advantage?

I had my daughter 300 miles away wash the spot with soap and water. Is there any other first aid to do? she doesn't have money to pay a vet.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/12/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter's cat. She did the right thing by washing the area with soap and water, unfortunately, the product does absorb into the skin so that won't completely fix the problem. Spot on flea and tick treatments can be very irritating to some animal's skin. As long as the bleeding and hairlessness is confined directly to the area where the Advantage was applied, and the cat can't lick it, she can treat it with a triple antibiotic ointment and keep the area clean. If the cat continues to lose hair over a larger area, it will need to be seen. She will need to use a different flea and tick product in the future. If you have a further questions, please let me know. Thank you and good luck!